Local, state, and national organizations look to the Center for Urban Education Leadership for counsel and leadership.
In Illinois, UIC was asked lead the Illinois Legislative Task Force on School Leader Preparation in 2010, which resulted in an overhaul of principal preparation programs across the state. Additionally, state level leadership in Texas, Tennessee, North Carolina, New York and Veromont, as well as school districts in Illinois, Georgia and Mississippi have sought leadership policy and planning assistance from UIC.
UIC has worked with national policy organizations, such as:
- National Council of State Legislatures
- National Governors' Association
- State Higher Education Executive Officers
- Education Writers Association
- Education Trust
- Wallace Foundation
- Illinois Large Unit District Association
- Council of the Great City Schools